Thursday, October 10, 2013

Don't Listen to Mark Twain: On Writing What You Don't Know

By Frankie Derfus, English major at Silver Lake College

Close your eyes. Imagine a small town, a village deep in the valley between picturesque rolling hills. It's a normal fall day with a rainbow of leaves blanketing the dewy morning grass. The air is crisp and refreshing. You are walking about town with two young kids about six and eleven years old. They are clutching your hands in excitement as you walk through a pumpkin patch with them. Their joyfulness brings a big cartoony grin to your face. As you look over your shoulder in respond to a scream heard off in the distance, an alien race is ripping your town apart. You swing the six-year-old onto your hip and hold tight to the eleven-year-old's hand and sprint toward your house. Your eyes scan the trees bordering your tiny settlement looking for the quickest escape.
Photo by Paul Gorbould


This scene abruptly awoke me from what was previously a serene slumber. I looked to my right and saw my son still peacefully asleep. A smile crept across his cherub-like face, and I sneaked a kiss, hoping he'd stay sleeping. As I lay there trying to shake off the feeling my dream, er- nightmare, left me with. Nightmares often interrupt my dreams, but I've never dreamt of aliens before. I didn't know how to stop thinking about this as a terrifyingly real possibility. (I'm a believer of extraterrestrial beings.) Then I had an idea: I should write about it!

Before my current fiction writing class began, I knew I would be required to write a long fiction piece. I dusted the cobwebs off the dark corners of my brain and tried to muster something new. I have only written non-fiction or stereotypical love stories: you know, the girl gets the guy and her dream job and one perfect child, girl loses guy to someone close to her, girl relocates in hopes of a fresh start, girl struggles but finds a better guy, and they live happily ever after. The end. Boring!

I have always wanted to write something much more unique, but when I start thinking of ideas, they are usually already taken. I really love writing but never fancied myself creative enough to create something not yet composed. This alien apocalypse dream was my chance to finally write something different. I was so excited. I told my little brother Zach about the dream (also a believer), and he was just as excited. Unintentionally, he has become my little consultant. Zach took a story-telling class in college, so he gave good pointers when reviewing my work. I have handed in my first chapter, sixteen pages and all.
 
Although this story isn't categorized in the same genre as the rest of my pieces, I am thoroughly enjoying writing something so new to me. If I can gather the confidence, I would love to publish this piece one day, hopefully soon. My advice to you is to try something new. Writers, expand your writing beyond what's easiest. Mark Twain once said “write what you know," but you know what? It might be good to write something you don't know about. Even if it doesn't work out, it'll be a good learning experience, and at least you can say you tried.

Good luck!


Frankie Derfus is from Wabeno, WI. She is majoring in English (writing) and minoring in Psychology at Silver Lake College.

No comments:

Post a Comment