Thursday, October 24, 2013

How to Give a Poetry Reading When You're a Shy Girl from Manitowoc: 4 Tips for Reading Poems Aloud

By Dr. Emilie Lindemann, Assistant Professor of English at Silver Lake College

It’s 2006 and I am a shy twenty-two-year-old from Manitowoc, WI bumbling along the route from my Bartlett Avenue apartment in the pre-dawn dark to my barista job at the campus coffee shop at UW-Milwaukee where I’m a grad student. I’m wearing some ridiculous dangly fruit earrings. Honest to goodness, I am wearing plastic pears on my ears. My professor James Liddy (yes, the Irish poet) has just informed me that I’ll be reading along with another grad student and a faculty member on Tuesday night (Tuesday!) at Von Trier. And today’s Friday.

As I walk, my red floral shoulder bag bumps against my hip. I hold a crumpled stack of poems and read them aloud as I pass two-story houses in shades of teal, lavender, and forest green. A city bus screeches to a halt—hipsters and elderly people and sleepy middle-aged workers inside the lit bus must think I’m a crazy person talking to myself, but I don’t care. Now I stuff the papers in my bag and recite the poems.

***

James Liddy had floated into his Contemporary Writers class the previous evening, placed his nylon duffle bag on the table, and said, “So our own Emilie will be giving a poetry reading next week.”

Huh?  I didn’t realize that Liddy even knew my name. He spoke in a soft Irish lilt and never bothered to turn on the lights during our evening class—even as 4:30 turned to 5 turned to 6:30 on those autumn evenings. By the end of the class we’d be sitting in the dark, squinting to read our notes, straining to hear Liddy whisper Jean Valentine lines from scraps of paper he pulled from his duffle bag.

I vaguely remembered having signed up via email to read for the student-faculty reading series sometime during the academic year. But no one had told me it was happening—and on Tuesday!  But the posters were plastered to every office and classroom door on the fourth floor of Curtin Hall to prove it.

***
At a more recent poetry reading (not at Von Trier, of course)
 

That night when I entered the Farwell Avenue German tavern called Von Trier with its side room decorated with antlers and beer steins, I entered another universe. This smoky universe was full of shadowy figures—devastatingly chic blonde thirty-somethings in berets and roomy cable-knit sweaters, bearded doctoral students who carried leather bags of books by Foucault and Derrida, characters like the seasoned professor with a dark brown bob who always wore an emerald trench coat and matching beret (my grad school friends have claimed to never have seen her, so now I’m wondering if she was a ghost).

That night, as I stood in that smoky room at Von Trier and read my poems to a room full of people who were infinitely cooler and smarter than I was, I entered a universe where people love poetry so much they listen to it over beer and cigarettes. A universe where a twenty-two-year-old from Manitowoc can go from a weird girl with fruit earrings to a poet in one night. While I read, I entered the poems, the dark room with its antlers and sticky wooden tables. I became part of the poems and part of the audience as they reacted in the moment.

***

Looking back now, I’m thankful that I was able to get into the zone as I read my poems to the audience, because that reading changed everything.

So, how can a shy girl (or guy) from Manitowoc--from anywhere--perform a poem?

On a recent visit to my Creative Writing & the Visual Arts workshop at Silver Lake College, poet Karl Elder divulged four tips for reading poems. I must have somehow known these four tips intuitively as a twenty-two year old, but they are worth spelling out and repeating here:

Tip 1: Determine the phrases.  Instead of just reading each line, figure out what your phrases are and read the poem like that. This is especially important in poems that use enjambment.

Tip 2: See it and say it. During his visit, poet Karl Elder reminded my class that we have to see the poem in our minds so that we can perform it in a way that will allow readers to see it in their minds.

Tip 3: Slow down. Elder urged us to “travel at the speed of the readers’ visualization” so that readers can actually experience the poem with us. Take a deep breath! No matter how nervous or caffeinated you are, don’t blurt out your poem in double-time. Your poem is worth listening to.

Tip 4: Lend a sense of wonder to your voice. While reading his own work during his visit to my class, Elder spoke in such a way that we knew the poems were worthy of our time. We stopped our own interior monologues to enter the poems with him.

Here’s hoping your own poetry reading launches you into the universe of poets!

Do you have other tips for reading poems aloud? Share them in a comment below.
 
Emilie Lindemann is an assistant professor of English at Silver Lake College in Manitowoc, WI. She is the author of two poetry chapbooks: Dear Minimum Wage Employee: You Are Priceless and The Queen of the Milky Way (both from Dancing Girl Press). After a stint as an apartment dweller on Milwaukee's East Side, Emilie now lives on a dairy farm in rural Manitowoc County.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment